I worked from my summer office yesterday. Also known as the back patio. Oh how I've missed my summer office. The water fountain flowed, the sun shone on my shoulders and all was right with the world. I'm convinced that living in a place like Portland, Oregon, where we have so much rain, grey sky and cool weather, makes me love the warmth so much more when we get it. Gratefulness. It's a theme of my life these days.
Wink was nearby, sleeping in the warm sunshine, and the beautiful yellow birds that have been visiting the garden lately kept me company.
The workday ended with a kick-off to the season, and cocktails with people I adore.
Aah, hunting the summer cocktail. Here is a delightful one for the season, featuring drinking vinegars from the local farmer's market. (You can also find drinking vinegars at your local large asian supermarket. And yes, you know I'll be homecrafting some this summer when berry season hits.) Tangy and fruity at the same time, drinking vinegars are refreshing but can be tricky. A little goes a long way. I think of them like a syrup.
Sun Salutation Cocktail
- Fill your glass with ice
- Add a splash and a half of cherry drinking vinegar
- Add one shot of vodka, though whiskey would be delicious here as well
- Fill rest of glass with sparkling water
- Garnish with a few canned cherries and their juice/syrup (I love the jars of Moreno cherries from Trader Joes for this if you don't have your own)
- Most important of directions: sip in the sun and bask in the season. Be grateful!